December 4, 2012
PSAC takes Canada Post to court over pay equity interest
PSAC is going to the Federal Court of Canada because Canada Post is only willing to pay 80% of the interest it owes on outstanding pay equity payments.
The union is asking the Court to enforce the the Human Rights Tribunal decision which does not include a discount on interest payments.
The union's opinion, backed up by legal counsel, is that there is no basis in law for Canada Post's position.
In the year since the Supreme Court rejected Canada Post's final attempt to overturn the Tribunal decision, there have been meetings to work out an agreement that would turn the decision into actual payments.
Without conceding our position, PSAC proposed that Canada Post go ahead with the 80% payment now in order to speed up the process of paying our members. In the meantime, the matter of the remaining 20% would be fought out in court. PSAC even pointed out to Canada Post that they could save some money because post-judgement interest would stop accumulating as soon as they make the payments.
After being on the case for almost 30 years, PSAC has no intention of stopping now. It will only be a victory when everyone has received the money they are owed.
Date Modified : 2012/12/04