February 4, 2013
PSAC asks the Federal Court to put a lien on Canada Post headquarters
On January 8, PSAC asked the Federal Court to put a “charging order” – similar to a lien – on Canada Post's Ottawa headquarters for outstanding pay equity debts owed to our members.
Canada Post must now appear on February 19 to explain to the Court why this charging order should not be executed.
Canada Post keeps forcing PSAC into court
The 2005 Human Rights Tribunal decision was perfectly clear on the issue of the interest owed on the outstanding pay equity payments. That decision was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2011. Nevertheless, Canada Post has said it will only pay 80 per cent of the interest owed.
Last year PSAC suggested Canada Post go ahead with the pay equity payments of the principle and 80 percent of the interest. The issue of the remaining 20 per cent would be argued later in court.They refused, even though it would have saved them a lot of money, because it would also have stopped the interest from accumulating any longer.
Date Modified : 2013/02/19