Public Service Commission responsibilities
The Public Service Commission must:
- ensure that priority entitlements are respected. (1.3.1(a))
- ensure that a process (“a means exists”) for individuals who have priority status to be assessed against vacant positions and appointed if they are deemed to be qualified in regards to the essential qualifications (1.3.1.(b))
- ensure that priority persons are provided with information about their priority entitlement
- refer surplus employees and laid-off persons to positions, in all departments, organizations and agencies governed by the PSEA, for which they are potentially qualified. (Annex C)
- ensure that entitlements are respected and that priority persons are fairly and properly assessed. (Annex C)
- ensure that priority appointees are assessed against the essential qualifications of a position and that other merit requirements, such as current or future asset qualifications, operational requirements or organizational needs DO NOT apply. (Annex C and the Public Service Commission; Guide on Priority Administration 1.4 - http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/prad-adpr/guide/index-eng.htm)
- ensure that a reinstatement priority is given to all employees who are appointed to a position at a lower level.
- ensure that the Privacy Act is respected (1.3.2, Annex C)
- will provide information to the Employer, departments or organizations and bargaining agents about referrals of surplus employees and laid-off persons in order to ensure that priority entitlements are respected
- provide the Treasury Board Secretariat with information related how departments' or organizations are administering priority entitlements (1.3.2 (a)) to help ensure compliance.
- provide information to bargaining agents on the number and status of their members who are on priority status and who are registered in the Priority Management Information System (1.3.2 (b)) on a service wide basis (Annex C)
- provide the bargaining agents with information about the Priority Management System overall (1.3.2.(b))
Date Modified : 2012/05/28